Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cupcake Mafia

She is cute. She is sweet. She is dressed in crinolines with a tiara. But beware those lacy bobbie socks... She is the Don of the Cupcake Mafia.

There is a certain six year-old that I know who is one of the sweetest, brightest and kindest littles that I have ever met. It makes my Sunday morning to see her and her sister come running to tell me Good Morning. I have been blessed to have several littles at my church decide that they were going to adopt me as their honorary aunt. I love them to pieces, especially the Don. Because in her sweet, kind six year-old way, she taught me a very valuable lesson, a lesson I couldn't refuse. One straight from the God-Father. I could go on all day but I will stop now.

Never, ever, ever, EVER promise cupcakes and then do not deliver. E!V!E!R! You will see a side of a little one that you did not know existed. Not a nasty, mean spirited side but an industrious, get the job done by whatever means possible, call in the big dogs side. I never stood a chance.

I made a bargain. Cupcakes for one missing tooth. Pull that tooth and cupcakes you may have. And cupcakes she did get but not the first Sunday. It had been a crazy week and I forgot. So, I had to sit down, tell her and disappoint my little. I did not like that feeling and I can promise it will never happen again, not if I can help it. She was so sweet and I was forgiven. However, there would only be one get out of jail free card. Hey, anyone who wears a tiara on a regular basis means business. I should know, I may or may not have my own somewhere.

The next Sunday, bright and early, cupcakes in hand I head to church. Well, they were in the car but you get the idea. Now, I attend a pretty big church. The church I grew up in had 150 members, my church now can have 10 times that at our 9:15 services. You would think finding her would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Normally, it is not but of course this particular Sunday, we missed one another. Finally, I had to leave with no sight of her. Now here is where the "Don" of the Cupcake Mafia emerges...

The church wide search began. The edict was passed down, FIND JODY! I am what some people call petite- kind words for little/short. The search included under chairs, in the corners, behind columns. When that did not work, she started asking people. No one had seen Jody. Did that stop her, no way Jose! She would find someone who knew where I was. And boy did she ever. She went straight to the top... The Worship Pastor's Wife! WPW may not have known where I was but she had the means to find me.

Picture it- Flowered dress with crinolines, lace bobbie socks, tiara, beautiful smile and all the sweetness of the world. If she skipped up to you looking for Jody, you would help her find me, wouldn't you? Uh, Yeah! You would get in your car and take to the streets to find the promised cupcakes and the missing Jody.  You would hunt me down like I stole your puppy! And find them/me she did. I was eating lunch and missed her but a brand new batch was delivered to her house the very next day. Yes, I made new cupcakes! I am staying on the good side of anyone wielding that kind of power.

She pursued the promise and she found it. She not only pursued the promise, her determination created the desire in others to find the cupcakes!

I feel like there are times that God feels it necessary to smack me upside the head with a baseball bat. (I am a touch stubborn.) And boy did he ever when I started thinking about this situation.

The question is simple... What if we pursued the promises of God with the fervor of the Cupcake Mafia? Determined? Fearless? Joyfully?

Can you imagine the impact we, as Christians, would have if we made this our focus?

She made this happen over cupcakes! As she asked if anyone had seen me, people had to think "Those must be some mighty fine cupcakes to go through all this trouble. I should help her." They were looking for cupcakes they were not even going eat.

The promises of God are not only for us, we get to share them. Let's go out into the world- determined, fearless and joyful- and make others thirsty.


Isaiah 40:29-31
He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.
Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion.But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary.They will walk and not faint.

love-j



No comments:

Post a Comment