Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Come to Jesus Meeting

I recently got to spend the day with some beautiful women. My mama wanted to spend time with her babies for Mother's Day. I am not about telling someone's business so I will not tell my sister's age and since I don't even think my husband is sure how old I am, I certainly am not telling mine. Let's just say we are 29.95+ so the babies part always tickles me.

I love spending time with them. We laugh, eat and visit. I am not sure if visit has the same connotation every where else but in the South, it means sit a spell and have God conversation. Well now, that is something. I am using my Swype pad and I meant for it to say good conversation but it put God instead. Funny because that is normally what our conversations become, God conversations. Everytime, the question is always asked- are we doing enough? I have also heard other people say they hoped they were doing enough to get into heaven. The answer is no. You can never do enough to get into heaven. You simply have to accept Jesus.

I am honored on Sundays to be a part of someone praying the Salvation prayer even if its only by sitting in the congregation. They have just become a Christian. That is all it takes, ask Jesus to forgive you and come be a part of your life for the rest of this crazy journey.

You are in! Done. Finito. There are no strings. There is no small print. You are in like Flynn baby. There is no secret handshake that you will need to know, no password. Just accept Jesus.

I could stop there but that would not be nice. Because I don't want any one to think that you get a magic tiara that will make all your wishes come true and all your issues disappear. The Salvation prayer does not wash away all your problems, erase all your fears and make things immediately better. Things will still be difficult but you now have someone who will face it with you and never let you down.

You also now are kind of married. You see, accepting Jesus is like getting married. You now have someone else to think about. Before I got married, if I wanted to do something I did it. No questions ask. I was footloose and fancy free and missing that love and comfort that being married to my wonderful hubby brings me. So what- I traded being able to go to the beach by myself or out with friends when ever I wanted without having to think of someone else and their feelings before just going ahead and doing. A BIG, HUGE adjustment but worth every second of it. And it starts with the whole "dying to self" process.

It is easy to say that dying to self is too hard, "I will never be able to do it." "I don't want to." "It doesn't sound like fun." Whah, whah, whah. Odds are you probably already have died to self. Ever been in love?

I think I am the only Southern woman who does not like football. I love to tailgate; cooking, eating, sitting back having a beer with friends, a little cornhole. But I cannot stand to go sit on uncomfortable, metal bleachers in 95 degree weather while they stop the clock 789 times. People- birds land on the field in the middle of the game. There should never ever ever be enough time with no one moving that birds land on the field. I would suggest taking a comfortable seat with a back and breaking out a good book but as I found, you may get a few stares. Umm hmm- I did that and hubby found a friend to share his tickets with the next time. It was not the most fun way for me to spend a Saturday afternoon. But I did it any way. I put on my best face and marched right on up those bleachers and sat there dressed in my finest N.C. State regalia and watched the birds land on the field. I did something that did not sound like fun and held no appeal because my hubby enjoyed it. Now was it the best day I have ever experienced? Absolutely not. Did I have a good time? Yes, I did. Am I glad I did it? Absolutely 100% yes I am. I spent time with my wonderful hubby doing something he loved. And for my pain and suffering, I got a manicure. :) He sure is a good hubby.

That, in my humble opinion, is dying to self. Putting your wants aside to do what you know is the right thing to do, what God is leading and guiding you to do. It is not always easy or fun. Sometimes it hurts. You are ready to do something and God is like "Ease up there love chops, it is not quite time for that." Or the opposite happens. You are not ready and He is. Those are fun. "I am sorry, you want me to do what? Am I at least going to get a manicure out of this?" Maybe not a manicure but you will receive something pretty amazing. God's plan for your life and the peace that goes along with it. He will bless you above and beyond what you can ever imagine. But please know, that your life will not be perfect. It will not be without pain and suffering. There will be times that it downright sucks. But the peace you have knowing that some how, some way and some time in the future you will see the good and the blessings in what happened makes it worth every moment. And let me tell you the reward is far greater than you can ever imagine.

John 16:33
I have told you this, so that you might have peace in your hearts because of me. While you are in the world, you will have to suffer. But cheer up! I have defeated the world.

love- j

No comments:

Post a Comment