Friday, June 7, 2013

Ooohhhh- You in TROUBLE!

My sister is 7 years younger than me. We have an amazing relationship now but you can imagine what it was like when I was 14 and she was 7 or 17 and 10. I think the only words she knew how to say to me where "Ooohhh- You in trouble." She was always "telling" on me. "Mama- Jody did this." or "Deddy- Jody wouldn't do this." And I somehow managed to be the one to get into trouble, something I am still scratching my head on.

Now this story has nothing to with her getting me into trouble. It's just payback for all those times she did.  muahahahahahaha

She Ra Princess of Power was a pretty big cartoon when Sissy was little. So, one day she, Sissy, decided she wanted to fly just like She Ra. Oh the naivete of youth and to be quite honest the creativity. Now I want the picture of this to sink in- cute blonde girl, sheet, roller skates, mini-trampoline and a bunk bed. I probably do not have to finish this story but I am 'cause it's FUNNY!

*Disclaimer- no cute blonde girls were permanently damaged in the living of this story.

So Sissy decides she wants to fly...  She ties a sheet around her neck, puts on her roller skates and climbs to the top bunk. Anyone else impressed that she was able to climb a bunk bed ladder in her roller skates? And why the roller skates you may ask? Here was the plan and it was a pretty good one if you ask me. She had put the trampoline on the floor just below the bed. She would jump from the top bunk to the trampoline which would cause her to "fly" for less time than the original Wright Brother's flight. She had put on her roller skates so when she landed, she would just roll away and be "Princess of Power". Just for a moment, stop and think about this... She was 6 or 7 and she had put a great deal of thought and preparation into this plan. She didn't even use one of the good sheets so she wouldn't get into trouble. Ingenious I tell you! But she did not factor in one teeny tiny detail. The teeny tiny size of her bedroom. Yep- she successfully hit the trampoline and then not so successfully hit the wall. By the time we all got to the room she was in a crumpled pile on the floor shaking her head saying "I'm okay, I'm okay."

I bet she looked like those witches you see at Halloween that "flew" into the tree as she slid down the wall. I want y'all to know, she is going to KILL me so there may not be anymore posts. Just know I died laughing because that story is funny!

Anyway, I am writing to tell you, I got in trouble again. This time on Facebook and I have been grounded for 2 weeks because of it... No Candy Crush, no cute baby pictures, no funny posts about my husband singing bad 90's music at the top of his lungs. I have had to sit here an think about what I have done.

I have, what some would call, an interesting sense of humor and a filter between my brain and my mouth that is sometimes defective. If I had a dollar for every time my Mama has said "Jody Lynn, you shouldn't say that!" I would have my feet propped up watching reruns of Designing Women. And that, Ladies and Gentleman, is how I got in trouble. I posted something on Facebook on the anniversary of my Dad's death. It was meant in a joking way but a while later I received a message from a friend. In her message she called me out on how my post could appear to those who do not know me. It was loving, honest and a wake-up call. This was two weeks ago and there has not been a day go by that I have not thought about what she said.

Now, I want to stress something. This person is a true friend. She was there for me when my Deddy died and has been there everyday since. I am blessed to have her in my life. She sent that message out of love and because she felt God leading her to do it. Now when I first read it, I was devastated. I immediately felt like a bad elementary school student whose favorite teacher got on them. Had I lost her respect? Would she look at me differently? Would we still be friends? But I read it again and then third time. And I realized that she was right. I had given the appearance that on one of the most difficult days of my life, I was turning to worldly things instead of Godly things to feel better.

How many of us put on our Sunday best at church? And I am not referring to our clothes. If your church friends were to describe you, would the description be the same as you non-church friends? She used the word witness. I have never thought of myself as a witness. I do not stand on the street corner preaching, I don't stand up in front of everyone and tell my story. But in reality I do every single day... in the grocery store line, at the bank, work, singing with the praise team on Sunday, singing with the carolers at Christmas. Everyday, someone somewhere sees me, my Facebook posts or this blog and sees my witness. Am I doing my absolute best to represent him? The answer is no. I have used the excuse "well that is who I am" to keep doing some things I know He is trying to make better. You see, I am not perfect. I am so far from it. I do not like Christians who put on their Sunday best and make you think they are wonderful, never do anything wrong and never have any problems. They make you think there is something wrong with you because you do. I do not want to be that person. But, in not being that person, I cannot live in my flaws when He is trying to change me. And that is what her message drove home because the message wasn't from her.

Proverbs 14:3 says:
By the mouth of a fool comes a rod for his back but the lips of the wise will preserve them. 

Proverbs 12:26
One who is righteous is a guide to his neighbor but the way of the wicked leads them astray.

I do not want you to think I am saying we have to walk around saying thee and thou or smacking people upside the head with our Bibles. But we are Christian, we are to be Christ like in our actions, appearances and words. Let's just ask ourselves "Is that what we are doing?" And can we do it better?

This is going to sound so silly but bear with me- let's take off the Sunday best and put on Godly best.

love-j

No comments:

Post a Comment