Monday, January 20, 2014

Yes, Jesus Loves You

This weekend, I went to visit a dear friend who recently moved to Richmond. While there, I saw a woman who was put together. Her hair was perfect*, she was stylishly dressed, she was smiling and she looked like she had it together. I saw this woman in the reflection of a window and realized it was me. I was caught off guard at the way I appeared in the window because I was having a hell of a week. And by hell of a week, I mean the enemy has latched on and will not let go. And by week, I mean the past two months. Sitting in church yesterday, I was led to write this post.

(* Hey, I do not have perfect hair very often! When you do, you have to throw it out there. And thank your awesome stylist, Garrett.)

I find that when I am upset or sad, I do things that remind me of those times when I was little and I felt secure. I listen to Eric Clapton because I remember laying my head in my Mama's lap and the two of listening to Lay Down Sally until the grooves of the record wore out. I cook because it reminds me of my Grandma's house and there was nothing better than getting to spend the night with her. To me, it was better than Disney World, Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens all rolled into one. I do the things that Grandma did hoping to, if for only a second, feel as loved and as special as she made me feel. I absolutely do not for one second want you to think I do not feel loved. I have a wonderful husband who tells me and shows me and a family that does the same every chance we get. This is about that one special relationship that I hope we have all had that teaches you how much Jesus loves you.

I don't know why but this is one of my favorite pictures of her so in it goes! 

So here is the truth about the put together girl in the window. There are times I feel:

Broken- Really one more thing to add to the list of things going wrong?
Angry- We try to be the best we can be and do what's right because it's right and this is what happens?
Insecure- I simply am not good enough.
Scared- Y'all live in the same world I do, I am sure EVERYONE understands this one.
Unworthy- This list is long and oh so distinguished.
Tired- I feel like the world is winning.

I wish I could say I did not feel these things often but lately they are more prevalent than any other thoughts. So what do we do when we are here? Once again, it's so simple a child can tell you... Remember- Yes, Jesus loves you because the Bible tells us so.

Let's start with the one you see everywhere.

John 3:16  “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

I hate to say this but you see and hear this one so much that it seems cliche. But think about the words for a moment. Many of you are parents, Brad and I are not. But hear me when I say, there are children in our lives that we love like our own and would hurt someone over. I have heard every single one of my friends and family who are parents say they would sacrifice their life for the life of their child. God loves you so much he sent his only child to suffer like we suffer and die for you. 

Romans 5:8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Christ died for us. And it was not a simple, easy, pretty death. He took on the punishment of the world and all of our sins. He did this because of His love for us. I got popped on the hand for something my sister did once and you would have thought the world had ended. I cannot begin to imagine what that must have been like for Him. But the one thing we can NEVER forget is why He did it. The answer is because he loves us.

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God. who loved me and gave himself for me.
Remember all of those things I listed above? Well, here are the answers.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

Matthew 11:28-29
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Isaiah 40:29-31
He gives power to the weak
and strength to the powerless.
Even youths will become weak and tired,
and young men will fall in exhaustion.
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.

Philippians 4:19
And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:37-39
No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

It is funny how everything I am feeling today is answered in a book written thousands of years ago. Because God knew. He knew what it would be like and as His children, He wanted to put His arms around us and tell us it will be okay. There it is, our great big Bible hug. Our Father, telling us "Lean on me, I am here for you and I love you."

As I have typed this, I have had one prevailing thought... There may be someone out there who has not had a person love them the way they deserve to be loved. They may not had an example of God's love from someone. This world is a broken, fallen place. People do not so great things and lose their way. We make bad decisions that have horrible consequences. We mess things up royally. But regardless of what we do, what we don't do or how badly we mess up... Actually let me say this as well- regardless of how much those around you may have messed up by what they did or did not do, we need to remember that someone loves us enough to send their child to die for us. God knew Jesus' life down to the last detail. He knew what would happen but to save us, He sacrificed His son. And Jesus had a glimpse of the book's ending as well. He knew what He would face and He loved us enough to die for us. Someone loves you enough that He gave his life for you.

1 John 4:9-11 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
We Christians are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination! See my list above. Sometimes our human, imperfect side is seen. But our job and hopefully, our goal is to be more Christ like. How do we do it, of course read the Bible, that is the play book. But we have to talk (pray) to God. He tells us He is our Father, Counselor, Friend. Why would you not turn to Him first and foremost in every situation? Ask Him! Because in working on this post, I realized I had not specifically prayed about the situation that caused me to feel like I did above. I had been praying about my feelings and why, oh why Lord, was this happening? I never once stopped and said "I give it to You, Lord. Tell, me what You want me to do." I threw myself a little pity party prayer and kept on going but I never once asked Him to take the situation and turn my ugly into beautiful. 

He loves us and wants to be in our lives. He wants to be first in our lives. Here is the interesting thing, when I allow him to be first, my circumstances may not change but I do because of his promises above. We need to remember He loves us and wants to help. We just have to be willing to ask and let Him.

My prayer is that throughout this year that is something that becomes second nature in my life.

love- j


No comments:

Post a Comment